top of page

Side Screen Hinges

April 2024 (Improvement)

Over the course of time, the hinges supporting the side screens became loose causing the side screens to drop at the back end. Only a small amount of play in the hinge translates to a significant drop at the back. My idea was to source a stainless steel continuous (piano) hinge, cut it to the appropriate length, and re-attach the sidescreens in a position so as to give a little upward tension.

The original hinge flaps were ¾" wide with one cut down to ½". It was not going to be possible to cut a continuous flap down successfully, so I chose a hinge with a similar overall width (38mm open, i.e. flaps of around 16mm). Although the hinge pin is therefore slightly away from the chrome strip (which attaches to the windscreen), it does not matter functionally.

I managed to find a suitable hinge supplier and cut two 10½" sections to cover the complete length of the old hinges including the gap between. I carefully measured and drilled the relevant holes so I could attach the hinges to the chrome strips as before (photos 1 & 2).

The posts which attach each chrome strip with its hinge to the windscreen via keyhole slots, were remade out of stainless steel tube. I used this rather than the original brass which, being soft, tends to squash slightly on tightening the screws, which then makes it difficult to slide on or off the windscreen keyhole slots. It was very tedious making these posts (which are all fractionally different) as they each had to be filed down until the height of the post was just right - not too loose to allow play and not too tight to stop it sliding on. It is extremely easy to file off just too much and then have to start all over again - which I did - many times!

Once I was satisfied with the two hinge and strip combinations, I then had the challenge of drilling the holes in the right place to produce a little upward tension for the side screens. I did this by marking thought the original holes and drilling, first one at the top and one at the bottom so I could “adjust” the hole positions before drilling the remaining ones.

bottom of page